Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Frosted Pineapple Cookies

Here is a recipe for frosted pineapple cookies that I made a couple days ago. They are SO good! (It's from The Taste of Home Baking Book.)

1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple
1/2 c shortening (I used butter)
1 c packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c confectioner's sugar (I skipped this b/c I thought the icing would make it too sweet, but I'm not a fan of icing anyway.)

1) Drain pineapple, reserving 3 T juice. Set both aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Add pineapple and vanilla, mix well. In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.

2) Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 325 F for 17-20 minutes (Mine were done after 15 minutes) or until golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.

3) For frosting, combine confectioner's sugar with enough of the reserved pineapple juice to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies. (Again, I skipped the icing.)

1 comment:

Justin Unbounded said...

What is the closest thing to shortening in Hungary? I know butter is close, but is there a Hungarian product that's better?

Does anyone have suggestions?